This Week at Henry Ford Elementary
MONDAY, APRIL 20
- Distance Learning
TUESDAY, APRIL 21
- Distance Learning
- PTA Virtual Meeting
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 22
- Distance Learning
- Pick Up Henry Ford Strong t-shirts
Thursday, APril 23
- Distance Learning
FRIDAY, APril 24
- Distance Learning
Homework Technology Support Wanted!
Do you have a used Chromebook you would be willing to donate to a family in need? No child should be doing their homework on a cellphone. Please contact the Henry Ford office if you are able to help.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
TUESDAY, APRIL 21 at 7pm, PTA MEETING (virtual). A text including a link to the meeting was sent on Friday, April 17. Please join us!
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 22, 10:30-11:30 AM pick up Henry Ford Strong t-shirts
PTA Virtual Meeting, Tuesday, April 21 at 7pm
Henry Ford Elementary PTA Meeting
4.21.2020 | 7:00pm
Keri King, President | Teresita Carlos, Vice President | Jeff Waite, Treasurer | Jane Garrino, Secretary
Approval of Minutes
A. Principal’s Report – Al Rosell
B. Faculty Liaison’s Report – Amy Barstad
C. President’s Report – Keri King
D. Treasurer’s Report – Jeff Waite
A. Dine Out – Jen Cambouris
A. Staff Appreciation – Ivy Burg
B. Pasta Dinner Auction – Colleen Lewcock
Next Meeting: Tuesday, May 19th, 2020 at 7:00pm
PTA MEETING FEBRUARY MINUTES
Henry Ford Elementary School PTA Meeting
02.11.20 | 7:06pm
Attendees: Keri King, Jeff Waite, Jane Garrino, Janet Lawson, Ellie Artale, Tracy Holmquist, Colleen Lewcock, Lauren Douglas, Sara Mrsny, Ellen Jacobson, Susan Bouchard, Kelley McCarthy, Amy Barstad, Carlo Covtavalli, Federica Belli, Carmie Chan, Jeanette Camacho, Ivy Burg
Approval of Minutes: Approved
Kelly Noriega – Principal’s Report
- Bathroom remodel in upper grades bathrooms is happening now. State of bathrooms during the day needs to be addressed. Kinder classrooms are being upgraded over spring break. Fencing around school putting up in summer.
- Teachers are in assessment mode, last week it was great to come together as a teaching team and talk about students strengths and weaknesses.
- Kinder enrollment is still open right now, so no numbers this month.
Amy Barstad – Faculty Liaison
- Thank you to ambassadors for kinder tours. March 9 -13th conferences are being held. Teacher’s were relieved to hear PTA will pay for field trips that still need to be funded. A big thank you to pTA.
- Can we include more about Project Cornerstone in the kinder tours and kinder night and on the website, also maker space info, art in action. Also after school enrichment classes. – Website is being worked on and is a work in progress.
Keri King – President Report
- Budget looking healthy so we can cover some field Trips. Couple of teachers have already asked us to help. Amy, encourage them to ask for help.
- First day of school Wednesday, August 19th, 2020, this is new for our calendar starting on a Wednesday.
- PTA changes for next year, lots of open positions coming up.
- Flier for Meet the Candidates for state senate Thursday, 13th, downtown.
Jeff Waite – Treasurer
- Not too much to report this time of year. Orange Theory workout $374 profit.
- Direct donations $32.247, fantastic! Double from two years ago.
- Field trip check gets sent to a separate account at district – Jeff to follow up on the amount needed.
- Scholastics we will pre-pay due to cost increase. Janet Lawson to find out if we can use Scholastic dollars for the newsletter.
- Audit it is a voluntary system for PTA organisation, but it requires cross checking receipts and payments.
Open Floor Discussion:
- Budgets Principal’s and PTA need to look at how funds are spent for next year. Speaker system costs are for this year then will be re-evaluated next year. All budgets are approved by the School Board and School Site Council. April’s meeting for next year’s budget.
- We need an update on what basic aid will mean to us. Maybe more numbers in March at the update meeting for the School Board.
Committee / Events Updates:
Orange Theory / Box Tops – Ellen Jacobson
- Great time, and it raised $374. | Box Tops collection next Thursday and Friday. Need help cutting and pasting tops on sheets! Last collection at Henry Ford as move to the app.
Family Dance – Jeanette Camacho
- Thank you to everyone who helped. Made $1800, almost 300 people attended.
Family Dodgeball – Ellie Artale
- Working on dodgeball, booked March 14th, 5 – 6:30pm. $25 per family, flyer coming out next week. Let’s buy the dessert food instead of asking families to donate. Scholarships available Dr. Rosell will decide the guidelines for need. Or should we lower the price and pay some money. Maybe offer scholarships and then re-evaluate next year changing things.
Makerspace – Becky Foutch
- Going to purchase filament for a 3D printer.
- Motion for approval for $300 for filament for 3D printer: Approved
Staff Appreciation Breakfast – Ivy Burg
- 26th of Feb next breakfast. Sending out flyers for sign ups this year instead of online.
Staff appreciation could we do something conference week? Grab and go food is really good.
Coffee service is coming back!
Dinner Out – Jen Cambouris
- Flyer going out Thursday Sanchos Feb 25th, 15% comes back.
Bookfair – Janet Lawson
- 9 – 13th, in the library. Librarian has run it at Fair Oaks for years, and will be open until 6pm. Will need volunteers to help set up on the Friday March 6th. E-wallet is a great idea. Give scholastic dollars to kids for seeing them read. Story night? Amy will ask Wednesday 11th possibility. Whole case of Spanish books this year.
Pasta Dinner – Colleen Lewcock
- Last month’s push for volunteers had an awesome response. Many people are taking on various tasks. Things are really moving along, all areas are taken care of. Staff meeting went well, teacher’s seemed eager to learn and help.
Meeting adjourned at 8:29pm. | Next Meeting: Tuesday, March 10th, 7:00 pm, Staff Room
MESSAGE FROM THE PTA
The Henry Ford PTA hopes this message finds our families well. We are all saddened by the announcement that school will not return this year as we miss the teachers, students and families.
This does mean that our wonderful Pasta Dinner event is canceled. But with our mighty Mustang spirit we will continue with an online auction. The online auction will be similar to what we’ve done every year except that everything will now be online. The committee has been working so hard since the beginning of the year on procuring generous donations of experiences and items. Stay tuned for more information to follow in the coming weeks.
The money raised throughout the school year goes to fund so many important essential programs and enrichment opportunities like PE, Intervention/Reading Specialists, Field Trips, Assemblies, Art in Action, Project Cornerstone, Makerspace and Classroom supplies.
We entered the school year uncertain about covering all of the school’s needs. But thanks to all the families for their participation in events, fundraisers, and direct donations, all school programs and activities have been fully funded. This plus the auction will tremendously help the PTA to continue funding school programs and help cover school needs in the future as we enter another uncertain year.
We are also going to hold a virtual PTA meeting in April. More details to come.
Wishing everyone is safe and healthy.
The Henry Ford PTA
Project Cornerstone Newsletter
ABC YEAR 2 LESSON #7
By Derek Munson
MESSAGE TO ABC READERS
This book focuses on building interpersonal relationships and the Social Competency asset category. It also shows how caring adults can help create opportunities for friendships to bloom, even when misconceptions, prejudice and fear are obstacles.
This book builds assets from 7 of the 8 categories:
Support-#1 Family Support, #2 Positive Family Communication and #4 Caring Neighborhood
Boundaries and Expectations-#13 Neighborhood Boundaries, #14 Adult Role Models, #15 Positive Peer Influence
Positive Values-#26 Caring and #31 Healthy Lifestyles
Social Competencies-#32 Planning and Decision Making, #33 Interpersonal
Competence and -#36 Peaceful Conflict Resolution
Positive Identity-#37 Personal Power
Constructive Use of Time-#18 Youth Programs, #20 Time at Home
The goals for this lesson are for students to:
Understand that prejudice may cause one to have a perceived enemy.
Learn not to judge others.
Develop a growth mindset that embraces meeting new people and discovering new things about classmates and friends.
Expand friendship making skills to include overcoming self-imposed obstacles, like prejudice and stereotyping.
Be aware that friendships can bloom and wilt.
Understand who is in their online community and how to communicate safely with them.
At Home Maker Space
Check the PTA Facebook page during the closure for daily Family STEAM Activity posts. Simple ideas to keep students engaged. Feel free to share with friends and add more ideas!
The California Schools and Local Communities Funding Act of 2020 (also known as the “split roll” initiative), will raise approximately $12 billion in annual funds for public education, local governments and community services by reassessing and taxing certain commercial properties at current market value. The initiative will appear on the November 2020 statewide ballot if it gets enough signatures to qualify by April 14.
Click here to read more about the initiative on CAPTA’s website – you’ll find a summary of the initiative, a link to the full text, the fiscal impact report, and many more documents. Click here to read the press release.
Our school relies on contributions from families like yours to pay for programs that enrich the learning experience for all Henry Ford Mustangs. Please consider a donation of $250 or more, but any amount is gratefully accepted.
For full contributions include your child’s name, room number, and preferred t-shirt size in the notes. Separate donations for each child please.
We also have a monthly installments program at http://henryfordpta.org/donate/
Are you an Amazon customer? You could support us in this NO-COST fundraiser just by doing your normal shopping! Learn how to get set up to shop on smile.amazon.com here:
Stay up-to-date on school activities by subscribing to our PTA newsletter! Your engagement helps your student succeed. Go to http://henryfordpta.org/subscribe. You can also find the Subscribe box on the bottom (mobile) or top right (desktop) across our PTA website. Please be sure to forward to any parents who haven’t signed up yet either.
If you have any news you’d like to share with Henry Ford parents, please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
No longer want Henry Ford Elementary School news? Click here to unsubscribe.