This Week at Henry Ford Elementary
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 19
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 20
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21
- Minimum day, dismissal at 1:30 PM
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 22
- Henry Ford Spirit Day – wear your blue!
- Minimum day, dismissal at 1:30 PM
NOVEMBER 25 – 28: NO CLASSES
Important Upcoming Dates
- November 25 – 26: NO CLASSES, Parent Teacher Conferences
- November 27 – 28: NO CLASSES, Thanksgiving Break
- December 7: Hometown Holidays Parade @4:30 PM
- December 17: Henry Ford Laser Tag fundraiser
- December 20, 2019 – January 5, 2020: NO CLASSES, Winter Break
- January 14, 2020: PTA Meeting @ 7 PM
- January 25, 2020: OrangeTheory Fitness Workout @ 1:30 PM
- February 7, 2020: Family Dance
Laser Tag Fundraiser
Have fun playing laser tag while making $$ for our school. This is a donation only event but 100% of $$ raised stays in our school.
The event will be held at Laser Quest San Carlos at 1119 Industrial Road, Suite F, San Carlos, CA on Tuesday, December 17th, 4 – 6 PM.
See you there!
November PTA Meeting
Thank you to everyone who made it to Tuesday’s meeting. There was a lot to talk about and we have some exciting things coming up.
Mark these dates on your calendar:
- Saturday, December 7th, 4:30pm – Hometown Holiday Parade
- Tuesday, December 17th, LaserQuest Family Night
- Saturday, January 25th, 1:30pm – OrangeTheory Fitness Workout Fundraiser
- Friday, February 7th, time TBD – Family Dance
Stay tuned for more information in Thursday folders and in this newsletter.
Our PTA is so much stronger by many different parents helping. And we need your volunteer spirit more than ever! Here are the wonderful opportunities you can get involved.
Fall Fundraiser- Deliver Purchases to Students (December)
The Fall Fundraiser was a success raising $8,500 that exceeded our budget by $1,500. All the goodies that were purchased will arrive at the school the first week of December. We will need help organizing the purchases and delivering them to the students in their classrooms. We won’t know when the items arrive until they are delivered but if you may be able to lend a hand the beginning of December, please contact Corinne Tsui at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hometown Holiday Parade Coordinator (December)
Every year Henry Ford students, families, teachers and staff walk in the Downtown Redwood City Hometown Holiday Parade. This year we need a coordinator to organize sending out flyers in Thursday folders, bringing to the parade the banner, noisemakers, beads, other flare and walking the short five block parade route. The parade is on Saturday, December 7th and begins at 4:30pm (line up at 4pm). This involves very little time commitment.
Weekly Newsletter Communication Coordinator (On-going)
We need a new coordinator to send out this very newsletter you are reading right now. The responsibilities are to collect information from the various PTA coordinators and send out the newsletter at the beginning of each week during the school year. This is easily done from home.
Pasta Dinner Auction Coordinator (January-May)
Pasta Dinner is our biggest event and fundraiser of the year. We need a coordinator to oversee the procurement of goods and services donated from businesses to be raffled or auctioned. No one person does it all so creating a committee of volunteers is important and makes it all manageable. The event is on Friday, May 15th and initial meetings begin in January.
Pasta Dinner Food Coordinator (April-May)
As the name of the event suggests we serve pasta! We have a caterer so luckily no need to cook all that pasta. But we do need a coordinator to order the food, purchase supplies, and overall organize the food part of the event. The event is on Friday, May 15th and work on it begins in April.
Fall Fiesta and Fall Fundraiser Coordinators (Fall 2020)
For the next school year we will need new coordinators for Fall Fiesta and for the Fall Fundraiser. There are easy to follow instructions and a lot of support to help the coordinators succeed.
If you (partnering up is encouraged too) are interested in any of these positions, please contact Keri King at email@example.com. We welcome familiar and new faces!
Upcoming PTA Meetings – at 7pm
All are welcome!
- January 14
- February 1 1
- March 10
- April 21
- May 19
The ABC book this month is My Secret Bully, by Trudy Ludwig. This is the story of Monica and Katie, close friends since kindergarten. Monica loves being around Katie when she’s nice, but there are times when Katie can be just plain mean. In the story, positive family relationships help Monica reclaim her power and positive sense of self.
The author describes Katie as a “secret bully”. She targets Monica with relational and social aggression. This form of peer abuse can be hard for adults to spot. It occurs among friends (both boys and girls) who use their social power to manipulate, humiliate and exclude.
Continue this conversation at home!
- Watch a video reading of My Secret Bully with your child: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xHT__W4rf8
- Be a thoughtful listener.
- Have a family discussion about friendships.
- Share the qualities you look for in a friend.
- Share your ideas for choosing friendships that make you feel good about you.
- What is a “Frien-emy” (a friend who is acting like an enemy)?
- Who are caring adults in your world?
- What is positive self-talk? Help your child identify their strengths!
- Discuss concerns about peer relationships with your child’s teacher.
- Help create a plan for safety and support at school as your child builds friendships with caring peers.
Curious about what happens next for Katie?
Read Confessions of a Former Bully, by Trudy Ludwig
Google Giving Week
Google Giving Week, November 27 – Decemember 1, is the week that Google employees sign up to personally match donations their peers make and it’s one of the ways that Google gives back during the holidays. The flyer and website are available to Googlers to help them decide how to give. Some local parents are leading the Henry Ford effort. Click here for more information.
Henry Ford Field Trips 2019-2020
Zoo Mobile on site January
Post Office walking 2/12/20
Environmental Volunteers on site March
Elkus Ranch 5/7/20
Maddux Park walking 6/2/20
Environmental Volunteers on site Oct or Nov
Woodside Plaza walking Jan or March
DeAnza Planetarium March or April
SMC Museum/public bus 2/18 & 2/19
HEAL Farms 10/4, 10/11, 5/12, 5/13
CuriOdyssey 3/17 & 3/31
MSI on site 3/13
Maddux Park walking 6/4
Baylands 2/19 & 2/20
Children’s Discovery Museum no date
Environmental Volunteers 2/18/20 on site
Academy of Science
Make time for Fitness
Covered Wagon on site
Outdoor Ed 12/9
Tidepools 3/2 & ¾
Levi Stadium 5/19
Henry Ford Bell Schedule
- Regular school hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
- Grades 1st – 3rd: 8:15 AM – 2:30 PM
- Grades 4th – 5th: 8:15 AM – 2:45 PM
- Kindergarten: 8:15 AM – 1:05 PM
- Early Dismissal Hours: Thursday (minimum day)
- Grades 1st – 5th: 8:15 AM – 1:30 PM
- Kindergarten: 8:15 AM – 1:05 PM
- School Office Hours: 8 AM – 3:30 PM
Super Minimum Day dismissal is now 11:45 AM
Our school relies on contributions from families like yours to pay for programs that enrich the learning experience for all Henry Ford Mustangs. Please consider a donation of $250 or more, but any amount is gratefully accepted.
For full contributions include your child’s name, room number, and preferred t-shirt size in the notes. Separate donations for each child please.
We also have a monthly installments program at http://henryfordpta.org/donate/
Are you an Amazon customer? You could support us in this NO-COST fundraiser just by doing your normal shopping! Learn how to get set up to shop on smile.amazon.com here:
Stay up-to-date on school activities by subscribing to our PTA newsletter! Your engagement helps your student succeed. Go to http://henryfordpta.org/subscribe. You can also find the Subscribe box on the bottom (mobile) or top right (desktop) across our PTA website. Please be sure to forward to any parents who haven’t signed up yet either.
If you have any news you’d like to share with Henry Ford parents, please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
No longer want Henry Ford Elementary School news? Click here to unsubscribe.