This Week at Henry Ford Elementary
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 11
- NO CLASSES – Veteran’s Day
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 12
- PTA Meeting @ 7 PM
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 14
- Minimum day, dismissal at 1:30 PM
- Vaping Parent Ed night – Kennedy Middle School Gym @ 7 PM
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15
- Henry Ford Spirit Day – wear your blue!
Important Upcoming Dates
- November 11: No classes, Veteran’s Day
- November 12: PTA Meeting @ 7 PM
- November 25 – 26: NO CLASSES, Parent Teacher Conferences
- November 27 – 28: NO CLASSES, Thanksgiving Break
- December 20, 2019 – January 5, 2020: NO CLASSES, Winter Break
- January 14, 2020: PTA Meeting @ 7 PM
PTA Meeting Agenda
The PTA Meeting is on Tuesday in the Staff room at 7 PM. Agenda:
7:02 Approval of Minutes
7:05 Officers’ Reports
- Principal’s Report – Al Rosell
- Faculty Liaison’s Report – Amy Barstad
- President’s Report – Keri King
- Treasurer’s Report – Jeff Waite
7:25 Committee/Event Updates
- Fall Fiesta Wrap Up – Jane Garrino/Keri King
- Fall Fundraiser Wrap Up – Colleen Lewcock/Corinne Tsui
- Dinner Out Update – Jen Cambouris
- Box Tops Update – Ellen Jacobson
- Google Giving Week Campaign – Lisa Maurer
7:45 New Business
- Makerspace Amazon Wish List – Becky Foutch
- LaserQuest Family Night – Kay Enright
- Orange Theory Fitness Fundraiser – Ellen Jacobson
- Email Server Change – Carlo Contavalli
- Italian Language Enrichment Class – Federica Belli/Carlo Contavalli
- Vote to approve Co-Chairs of Italian Language Enrichment Program
- Coordinators Needed
- Hometown Holiday Parade (Saturday, December 7th)
- Kindergarten Tour Q&A (Tours in January)
- Pasta Dinner Auction (Friday, May 15th)
- Pasta Dinner Food (Friday, May 15th)
- Fall Fiesta (October 2020)
- Weekly Newsletter Communication (Ongoing)
The ABC book this month is My Secret Bully, by Trudy Ludwig. This is the story of Monica and Katie, close friends since kindergarten. Monica loves being around Katie when she’s nice, but there are times when Katie can be just plain mean. In the story, positive family relationships help Monica reclaim her power and positive sense of self.
The author describes Katie as a “secret bully”. She targets Monica with relational and social aggression. This form of peer abuse can be hard for adults to spot. It occurs among friends (both boys and girls) who use their social power to manipulate, humiliate and exclude.
Continue this conversation at home!
- Watch a video reading of My Secret Bully with your child: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xHT__W4rf8
- Be a thoughtful listener.
- Have a family discussion about friendships.
- Share the qualities you look for in a friend.
- Share your ideas for choosing friendships that make you feel good about you.
- What is a “Frien-emy” (a friend who is acting like an enemy)?
- Who are caring adults in your world?
- What is positive self-talk? Help your child identify their strengths!
- Discuss concerns about peer relationships with your child’s teacher.
- Help create a plan for safety and support at school as your child builds friendships with caring peers.
Curious about what happens next for Katie?
Read Confessions of a Former Bully, by Trudy Ludwig
Vaping Parent Ed Night
Please spread the word about the first Parent Ed night in the RCSD Parent Education Series — all are welcome!
Date/Location TBD, 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Location TBD, January 2020, 7:00pm – 8:30pm
William Stixrud, PhD, and Ned Johnson, Co-Authors
The Self-Driven Child: The Science and Sense of Giving Your Kids More Control Over Their Lives
Location TBD, March 2020, 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Eran Magen, PhD, The Center for Supportive Relationships
Managing Difficult Conversations with Your Child or Teen
Google Giving Week
Google Giving Week, November 27 – Decemember 1, is the week that Google employees sign up to personally match donations their peers make and it’s one of the ways that Google gives back during the holidays. The flyer and website are available to Googlers to help them decide how to give. Some local parents are leading the Henry Ford effort. Click here for more information.
Henry Ford Field Trips 2019-2020
Zoo Mobile on site January
Post Office walking 2/12/20
Environmental Volunteers on site March
Elkus Ranch 5/7/20
Maddux Park walking 6/2/20
Environmental Volunteers on site Oct or Nov
Woodside Plaza walking Jan or March
DeAnza Planetarium March or April
SMC Museum/public bus 2/18 & 2/19
HEAL Farms 10/4, 10/11, 5/12, 5/13
CuriOdyssey 3/17 & 3/31
MSI on site 3/13
Maddux Park walking 6/4
Baylands 2/19 & 2/20
Children’s Discovery Museum no date
Environmental Volunteers 2/18/20 on site
Academy of Science
Make time for Fitness
Covered Wagon on site
Outdoor Ed 12/9
Tidepools 3/2 & ¾
Levi Stadium 5/19
Henry Ford Bell Schedule
- Regular school hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
- Grades 1st – 3rd: 8:15 AM – 2:30 PM
- Grades 4th – 5th: 8:15 AM – 2:45 PM
- Kindergarten: 8:15 AM – 1:05 PM
- Early Dismissal Hours: Thursday (minimum day)
- Grades 1st – 5th: 8:15 AM – 1:30 PM
- Kindergarten: 8:15 AM – 1:05 PM
- School Office Hours: 8 AM – 3:30 PM
Super Minimum Day dismissal is now 11:45 AM
Our school relies on contributions from families like yours to pay for programs that enrich the learning experience for all Henry Ford Mustangs. Please consider a donation of $250 or more, but any amount is gratefully accepted.
For full contributions include your child’s name, room number, and preferred t-shirt size in the notes. Separate donations for each child please.
We also have a monthly installments program at http://henryfordpta.org/donate/
Are you an Amazon customer? You could support us in this NO-COST fundraiser just by doing your normal shopping! Learn how to get set up to shop on smile.amazon.com here:
Stay up-to-date on school activities by subscribing to our PTA newsletter! Your engagement helps your student succeed. Go to http://henryfordpta.org/subscribe. You can also find the Subscribe box on the bottom (mobile) or top right (desktop) across our PTA website. Please be sure to forward to any parents who haven’t signed up yet either.
If you have any news you’d like to share with Henry Ford parents, please reach out to our team at email@example.com
No longer want Henry Ford Elementary School news? Click here to unsubscribe.