THIS Week at Henry Ford Elementary
MONDAY, May 21
TUESDAY, MAY 22
- 8:10 AM Flag salute
- 7:00 PM PTA Meeting
WEDNESDAY, MAY 23
THURSDAY, MAY 24
- 5th grade to Moss Beach
- Open House: 6 – 7:30 PM
- Minimum Day
FRIDAY, MAY 25
- Mustang Pride – wear your shirts!
Important Upcoming Dates
- May 28: Memorial Day – no classes
- May 31: Field Day, 9 – 11:15 AM
- June 1: Last day of PE+
- June 1: Kindergarten Ice Cream Social 6:30 – 7:30
Thank you to everyone who helped make Pasta Dinner a success and to all those who came out to support the event on Friday. We loved seeing so many Ford families having fun together and apologize that the record breaking attendance meant we ran short on food! Rest assured that we will order more food next year so that won’t happen again.
The final PTA Meeting of the year is Tuesday at 7pm in the staff room.
This month’s ABC book: “Enemy Pie” by Derek Munson shows the difficulties and rewards of making a new friend. The summer had seemed perfect until Jeremy Ross moved into the neighborhood, quickly becoming the narrator’s “enemy number one”. The narrator’s father, a caring adult in his life, offered to help with a recipe for enemy pie. The chief ingredient in enemy pie was time spent in the company of “the enemy”. Thanks to Dad’s special recipe, Jeremy and the narrator discover they have a lot in common and become friends.
Goals of lesson:
- Understand that prejudice may cause one to have a perceived enemy.
- Learn not to judge others.
- Develop a growth mindset that embraces meeting new people and discovering new things about classmates and friends.
- Expand friendship making skills to include overcoming self-imposed obstacles, like prejudice and stereotyping.
To reinforce this lesson at home:
- Talk with your child about her or his friends. Ask questions to find out what they’re like.
- Get to know your child’s friends and their families. Point out what you like about them.
- Don’t jump to conclusions based on first impressions.
- When your child is involved in a conflict with a friend, listen to find out what is happening.
- Role-play how to start a conversation with someone new.
- Listed are a few qualities of a good friend. Discuss with your child what each word means: loyal, trustworthy, open-minded, encouraging, caring
When you “catch” kids modeling positive behaviors…Notice, Name it, and Celebrate it!
Connect with other Parents
All parents & caretakers are invited to join their classrooms’ group chats to stay in touch with others in their classroom through text, email, or the Remind app. You choose! It’s so handy for playdates, missed assignments, field trips, etc.
Text @fordinfo to the number 81010 or click remind.com/join/fordinfo and then message the PTA for further instructions.
DIRECT DONATION DRIVE
Our school relies on contributions from families like yours to pay for programs that enrich the learning experience for all Henry Ford Mustangs. For the 2017-18 academic year, a full student contribution is $200. While we prefer a full annual contribution, any amount is gratefully accepted. We also have a new monthly installments program at http://henryfordpta.org/donate/
Are you an Amazon customer? You could support us in this NO-COST fundraiser just by doing your normal shopping! Learn how to get set up to shop on smile.amazon.com here:
Stay up-to-date on school activities by subscribing to our PTA newsletter! Your engagement helps your student succeed. Go tohttp://henryfordpta.org/subscribe. You can also find the Subscribe box on the bottom (mobile) or top right (desktop) across our PTA website. Please be sure to forward to any parents who haven’t signed up yet either.
If you have any news you’d like to share with Henry Ford parents, please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org